 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6056
Re: Should pattern be like we -think- they should be? (loads of pics.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:21:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Timothy Gould wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Willy Tschager wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Michael Heidemann wrote:
   I got a hold vote some time ago to the part: http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/3004p07.dat

I do not agree with Steffen.

I think we should try to be realistic.

What is your opinion? And what is the opinion of the admins?

cu MikeHeide

hi mike,

I design my patterns http://www.holly-wood.it/ldraw/authored-en.html the way “I • THINK they should’ve produced” and I correct any printing errors, like overlaps, • misalignment, shades of color... In the past I had the same problem with many of • the patterns I made and it cost me 2 month to get rid of the borders in the • Brick 1 x 6 x 5 with Rocket Launch Pattern - http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/3754p02.dat I initially coded • in because my print showed them. I’m glad I fixed the borders, regardless of the • effort - Matthew, Kelly I’m authoring parts not for you but for my own enjoyment • ;-)

all in all it boils down to misreading prints because of misregistering. read • this thread http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=5329&t=i&v=a (unfortunately • some of the pics are broken) with a highlight on this: http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=5345 and this http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=5337 (and you’ll learn that your copy of • your ice cream pattern might completely different from mine. go for the ideal • pattern.

w.

Hi Willy,

In that case I would argue that the onus should be on the designer to choose whether or not to model the ideal or real pattern. If their part is a really weird one then it can be held but if all copies people can see are the same (and • off) it is absolutely no reason for a hold.

I doubt anyone is going to complain either way after the part has left the tracker anyway. In this case I don’t agree with Steffen. Maybe if it was completely off and only Mike had such a strange copy it would be different but I • remember from my childhood that part was not quite neat.

Tim

tim,

one thing is if the hold vote is appropiate since it doesn’t interfer with the functionality of the part, another is realism against ideal representation. the PT admins will tell us (I would have opted for a “no vote with comments”). but the reason why I go for the ideal pattern are two:
  • having the chance to make things look nicer I correct them
  • the lack of sources. how many bricks do you use during re-engeneering: 1,2,3... the pattern might be faitful to your copy but wrong to a million others. let’s see what we’ve got for the ice cream cup:

I cannot be faitfull to all of them and therefore prefer to be wrong to all of them :-)))))

w.