 CAD / 9292
Re: LSynth 2.0 Available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.inst
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 22:34:30 GMT

"Kevin Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> writes:
Bill,
  My initial thought is.... what are the chances that someone will find a
commercial use for this program?  But in thinking about it more, I have no
idea how far other contributing authors will take this program, so out of
respect for their future efforts, I guess GPL is the best choice.

Another issue is the ownership of the changes.  Do you wish to require
authors who contribute changes to assign ownership of the changes to
you?  If you do not, then the program becomes partly owned by you and
all whose code you have accepted into the program.  The GNU project
requires that you assign ownership of the code to them in order for it
to be incorporated into a future release.

If you think you might ever wish to go commercial with the software,
you will need to own all the code.  If you wish to keep it "free" then
group ownership is the best way to preserve that.

--Bill.

ObInst: I have decided that any future LDraw files I release
        publically will be GPL licensed.  An LDraw file is software
        that is executed by a person using LEGO parts, in a sense. :-)

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines."        - Emerson