 CAD / 9215
Re: LSynth 2.0 Available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.inst
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:39:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky writes:
Some comment about L-Synth:

-I Really like the rubber bands\treads\chain feature.  This is insanely useful.

-I'm not so wild about the flex axle/ribbed hose implementation.  Is there
any way to specify the amount of ribs or the length of the axle and just
define the endpoints?  I find that using the constraint part to set the
length is inexact.

-Again, I would like a zip file distribution of this program.  I rearrage
the directory structure of my Lego folder occasionally and Windows doesn't
like that.  Also, I would appreciate the option not to run MKLIST.

Orion,

Right now there is a dependency between the lsynth GUI program and the
lsynthcp program in that lsynth needs to know where lsynthcp is located to
be able to run it.  Currently the windows based installer uses the registry
to identify where lsynthcp is located.

If I can be assured that lsynth can always fine lsynthcp in the bin
subdirectory of the installation folder, or that you don't care about this
dependency because you don't use lsynth, then I can change things depend on
the registry.

Also lsynthcp is dependent on parts being added into the parts directory,
because it needs them to do their job.  If mklist is not run, then you will
not be able to find the constraint parts needed to define hoses in MLCAD.

I'd much perfer to have only one release format, that satisfies everyone's
needs, rather than have two.  I don't know if you've noticed but I have a
pretty bad track record of making clean releases.

I have three things on the list:
  -eliminate the need for the registry
  -dialog to locate the LDraw directory (per Ahui's request)
  -make running of mklist optional

You already have control on where the programs and examples are installed.

Moving things around after the installation is run will void your uninstall
feature, but I don't know if you care.

Kevin

-Orion