 CAD / 9214
Re: LSynth 2.0 Available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.inst
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:16:51 GMT

Jennifer,
  You are using and old verion of LSynth where the length is provided.
Version 2.0 has it removed, because it was not used.

  Orion, I agree completely on wanting a length control.  I also want lsynth
to somehow understand hose rigidity (I think this matters to the shape.)
One lsynth user wants to be able to have slightly bent rigid axles.  The
shape there certainly depends on the rigidity of the plastic.  Right now,
the only way to control the shape/length of a hose is to use constraints,
but that is not relly a very good way to do it.  What we want is to control
the shape *between* the constraints, and that is best done with a length
control as suggested by Orion.

  What I think is the right answer is to have it understand length, and try
to choose a curve that matches that length given the rigidity of the hose.
I want this length to apply between each pair of constraints in a hose type
thing, so you can control the shape of complicated routing of variable
length hoses, as well as fixed length hoses.

  I want it all!  I just have to figure out how to do it and find the time.
I figured people would be better off with 2.0 now, than waiting three or six
months before I have everything perfect.

Kevin

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jennifer Clark writes:

"Orion Pobursky" <bilthefish@IHATESPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

Horses for courses I suppose, I found the constraint method (when applied • to
pneumatic hoses) totally brilliant, in fact I can't imagine a simpler
system - it really comes into its own when the hoses are routed through
other parts. You do specify the hose length in the header of the • synthesized
part, although it is not used at this time; if this does get implemented,
then presumably specifying the endpoints and length will do what you • need.
Having the choice would certainly be interesting! Perhaps specifying "-1" • or
somesuch for the length could indicate "let lsynth calculate the length".

Jennifer

For non fixed length parts such as hoses the constraint part work
beautifully.  What I'm talking about is the fixed length flexble axles and
ribbed hoses.  The shape of the curve structure betwwen two point is
dependent on the length of the part you use.

Yup, I realised that. The lsynth header allows you to specify the hose
length (even though it currently isn't used) so I'm assuming the Kevin
Clague will implement this at some point, and if he does then lsynth will do
exactly as you request with the start and end constraints specifying the
start and end position and orientations of the hose.

Jennifer