 CAD / 8056
Re: *** LDView Version 1.9.5 Released ***
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 23:15:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Damien Guichard writes:
Better than ever!
I would have not believed LDView could have better graphics.
But curve smoothing is such a tremendous quality improvement.

Other remarks:
* Documentation should warn about memory requirements of "Conditionnal
Lines". LDView can be more than 25 times slower when I swith 5-lines on,
because of disk-overswapping. No other option has such an impact on performance.
* I still experience color bugs, especially with transparent parts. Official
part 30187c02.dat is representative of this color bug. Parts in file
containing errors can also be color-modified.

My config: W98se, 64Mo, celeron500 + i810 chipset
My OpenGL driver: Intel 810 version 1.1.2

I am confident, you are on the way of a displayer that is much better and
yet as stable as version 1.0

Thank you very much for the feedback.  I'm glad you like it.

I looked at 30187c02.dat, but I didn't see any problems.  What part of it is
the wrong color?  I'll take a look, and see about tracking down the problem
and fixing it before the next build.

I'm a little puzzled about the memory usage, though.  Conditional lines will
consume memory, but I would expect them to consume approximately twice as
much memory as a comparable number of standard (type 1) lines.  I'll have to
look into it.  It is worth noting that conditional lines do slow down the
rendering rather significantly, even without disk swapping.  However, it
shouldn't be anywhere near a factor of 25.

Also, while the conditional lines have to be loaded in order to be used for
smoothing when that option is enabled, it occurs to me that I could then
delete them from memory if they aren't set to be drawn, as they serve no
further purpose.  I'll look into that as well.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)