 CAD / 14865
Re: PreL3P 1.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 20:43:08 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

For example, stone colors are not well supported by several programs other than
L3P. If I want to build with these colors I generally use old greys, but it
would be nice that the final rendering be done with real tone hues. That would
need to remap colors 7 and 8 to non-standard colors.

With a customized ldconfig file, you can use PreL3P to convert color codes
directly to the hexadecimal equivalents of other other colors. For example, here
are the default gray definitions:

0 !COLOUR Gray              CODE   7  VALUE #C1C2C1  EDGE 0
0 !COLOUR Dark_Gray         CODE   8  VALUE #635F52  EDGE 0
0 !COLOUR Stone_Gray        CODE  71  VALUE #A3A2A4  EDGE 0
0 !COLOUR Dark_Stone_Gray   CODE  72  VALUE #635F61  EDGE 0

If you want to render the original grays as the new grays, you can combine them
like this:

0 !COLOUR Gray              CODE   7  VALUE #A3A2A4  EDGE 0
0 !COLOUR Dark_Gray         CODE   8  VALUE #635F61  EDGE 0

With PreL3P 1.1, you can use multiple ldconfigs. So if you save the two lines
above as graymap.ldr, you can override the default 7 and 8 codes but use all the
others normally like this:

prel3p -ldconfig $LDRAWDIR/ldconfig.ldr -ldconfig graymap.ldr

I agree that a tool to map LDraw color codes to other regular color codes would
be useful, but I haven't decided whether that would be outside the scope of
PreL3P. (Can you do it with LDDP or MLCAD?) It could be controlled with
unofficial ldconfig meta commands and/or command line options:

0 !PREL3P MAP 7 71
-map 7,71

What do you think?

Jim