 CAD / 13376
Re: LPub 2.4.8.0 available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 16 Oct 2005 09:57:54 GMT

On 15/10/05, Travis Cobbs <tcobbs@remove.halibut.com> wrote:
In lugnet.cad, danny staple <orionrobots@gmail.com> wrote:

Its interesting to see the two side by side. It appears that LDGLite
has better shading, but LDView is smoother on the outlines. Is there
antialiasing on LDView then?

Well, antialiasing is turned on in both renderers.  However, the antialiasing
definitely isn't the same in both.  Maybe the LDView one is done with
full-scene
antialiasing and the LDGLite one is done with line antialiasing.

That may well explain it.

It's interesting how you rank the quality on the two.  I actually would
reverse
that, and say that the edges are smoother on the LDGLite one and the shading
is
better on the LDView one.  Of course, since I wrote LDView, it stands to
reason
that I would find its shading to be asthetically appealing.

Actually -looking again - LDGLite is smoother, but LDview seems to
make less of a mess when axles meet axle holes. It was that I noted
really when mentioning smoothness. Looking at the step 48 image from
both renderers, LDGLite is the better looking, apart from, as you
rightly say, the curved surfaces (although in LDraw they dont realy
exist and are faceted anyway).

If you look at the R-Leg (/r-leg_1_18_ci.png in both folders), then
you can see clearly where LDGLite has made a pigs ear of the axle/axle
holes, leaving LDView looking smoother.

Another thing I note, is that the layout of the part inventories are
different. Is this just because of the slight scale differences in the
two renderers or some other thing?

There are two major differences in the shading between the two.  First of all,
curves are smoothed on the LDView renderings, while you can see some faceting
on
the LDGLite rendering.  (The curves in this particular model are small enough
in
the rendering for this to be less obvious than it might be in some models.)
The
second difference is the positioning of the light source.  In LDView, the
light
source is in exactly the same spot as the virtual camera, so everything
pointing
directly at the camera is brightest.  In LDGLite the light source seems to be
above and to the left, which is probably a better position for instructions.
think I'll add a way to move the light in LDView.

One other major difference between the two renderers that will show up in
other
models is their handling of transparent pieces.  (I don't think this model has
any transparent pieces.)  LDView allows transparency to either be done with
stippling (which is what LDGLite, MLCad, and most other LDraw renderers use)
or
blending.  Blending can look quite a bit better.

--Travis

As well as moving the main light source, I wander if there is a case
for bringing down the ambient lighting as well, so the contrast is a
little more obvious. However - I suppose that might lead back to more
faceting again.

Danny
--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Build Robots