 CAD / 1173
1172  |  1174
Subject:
L3PAO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 07:21:21 GMT

[Removed lugnet.build from crosspost list]

Jeff Boen writes:
not to toot my own horn, todd...

There's an old saying:

  "If you don't toot your own horn, someone else will use it as a spitoon."

but if you're diggin L3P, you GOTTA run it
with my front end L3PAO.. once you DO decide to start tweaking camera
angles, and even the color changes you've already started playing with,
you'll find it much easier to get everything you can out of L3P... you
can grab the front end at:
http://www.flash.net/~onyx/L3PAO/L3PAO.html

Looks great!  I just downloaded it and it's running now (sort of).  It can
see my models directory and shows me a list of actual files, which is cool.
The weird thing is, when I click the "Run L3P" button, nothing happens --
no beep, no dialog box, no changes written anywhere on the disk.

A couple other weird things -- when I asked it to save a scene, I gave it
a full path, but it put the .L3A file in the root directory.  When I ask it
to display the L3P help file, it invokes notepad looking for \L3P.txt.

My LDRAW environment variable is set like this:  LDRAWDIR=C:\LDRAW

Let me check my LDRAW.INI file.  Hmm...  L3PPath=\ and POVPath=\, that
doesn't sound right.  OK, I'm fixing L3PPath=c:\ldraw\ and POVPath=
c:\program files\pov-ray\ .  Now when I click "Run L3P", it runs, but then
it (L3P) errors out and says "*** Too many filenames."

Maybe L3PAO is passing the POVPath to L3P on the command line without
surrounding it in double-quotes?  Let's test that theory.  Aha--bingo --
I just copied my POV-Ray directory from where it really is to a path
C:\foopov containing no space characters, and now it creates the .pov file.

Well anyway, thanks for pointing me to L3PAO -- I look forward to using it
soon!  (I just need to find more spare time for this sort of thing first. :)

--Todd