 CAD / 1153
1152  |  1154
Subject:
Crossposting and .DAT content
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 00:50:31 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, lar@voyager.net (Larry Pieniazek) writes:
Terry K wrote:

Hmmm...... interesting.  The message I replied to (from Mookie) had
replies set to lugnet.build and lugnet.cad.  I originally fired off
the reply with the .dat lines intact, and received a message back that
dat's were not allowed in lugnet.build.  So I checked lugnet.build _and_
lugnet.cad and neither group had the reply.  So then I reposted with the
x'd lines.  If lugnet.cad allows .dat files, why didn't the reply show up
there?

I'd argue that this is more consistent than allowing a post to some, but
not all, of the groups that you intended the post to go to.

But if I did make that argument, would I be against allowing cross
posting to RTL when it's hosted here? I'm thinking I probably would, and
we can't have THAT. :-) So how about it, Todd, why didn't the reply show
up there? :-)

You mean why didn't Terry's reply show up in lugnet.cad?  Because Terry didn't
address his post to lugnet.cad.  He addressed it to lugnet.build and
lugnet.cad.  Note that there is no way to crosspost an article to lugnet.build
and/or lugnet.cad.

It would be bad threading karma if the newsserver trimmed newsgroups from a
crosspost list on-the-fly in order to make the rules for the individual groups
match the message.  It is good threading karma instead simply to reject the
article in its entirety and allow the poster to re-post a corrected version
which fits the rules for all of the newsgroups to which the article is
addressed.

Imagine how confusing it would be if a crosspost to lugnet.build & lugnet.cad
containing .DAT content silently showed up only in lugnet.cad.  "Why did my
post show up in lugnet.cad but not in lugnet.build?"

Either way, I agree that the results can be confusing if you're expecting the
opposite of what happens to happen.

--Todd