 Aquazone / 625
Re: Announcing the Aquarium: the new Sea Monkey home.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.aquazone
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:15:52 GMT

Another difference I see is that humans don't adapt to the environment as much
as adapt the environment to them. And that mastery of the environment is
something that the SMs disdain...they live in a general harmony with the sea.

True.  This way, they're not just war-mongers, but on a worthy mission.

So where do we see them living? The places I think of immediately are in the
marine trenches, or by hydrothermal vents...places not well explored by humans.

Interesting that you say that.  One of the ideas I've been toying with
lately is that SMs don't have to eat to obtain energy.  I'm always
dissapointed in sci-fi aliens because (as a biologist) I always see the same
themes coming up: the aliens eat something, breathe something, see with
something... see what I mean.  The aliens created in most sci-fi are just
humans but a bit different.  I want to explore new ideas with the SMs (that
will translate into MOCs obviously).

For instance, they live underwater- but who says they need to breathe?
Perhaps the SMs have no comparable phenomoenon to respiration.

Or eating; species on earth obtain energy by more than just eating living
systems.  They also trap it from the sun or live next to geothermal
reseviors.    Perhaps the SMs do something equally different...?

Another thing I'd like to do is give the sea monkeys a rich mythology.
Perhaps because they're telepthic they've evolved a complex and rich
spiritual system.  Perhaps just as humans need explanations for the unknown,
the SMs have they're own concept of gods and such.  I've been thinking about
SM villages, and it might be cool if each village/base/thing rallied behind
a figure from mythology.  For instance, I'm going to make a SM telepthy
enhancement building.  Perhaps this falls under thier gods of communication
so to "bless" the building or however they think of it, the building would
have some type of totum or mask.  This could allow us to get really creative
with our MOCs.  This could also translate into war banners.  So if a unit of
attack crabs go out, they have one attack crab carry a banner or totum with
the war gods image.  What do you think?

But it could be that the SMs are planning for an invasion, with outposts and
weapons and aquaformers being made and sent over...

I like that idea.

The SMs could still have gates (and that would be a good reason to use the LOM
gates, parts-wise) to travel quickly long distances.

Just make sure you pay homage to the interstellar gate god, lest you incur
his wrath!

I'm still stuck on social interaction for the SMs. But I am working on some
ideas for vehicles.

Ilook forward to seeing what youcome up with!

Felix