 Aquazone / 623
Re: Announcing the Aquarium: the new Sea Monkey home.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.aquazone
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 23:09:12 GMT

Hm, this is something I will have to think about. My immediate thought about
the SMs is that they are environmentally aware, so that they resent the
encroachment of humans in their environment. Having been sheltered from the
upper world the SMs have seen the effects of humans 'up there.'

In terms of building, that would mean that the word to use to describe their
tech is organic. Maybe patterned after coral reefs, where everything is
alive in one way or another. And maybe that's the understanding that the SMs
have over humans...they understand how delicate the balance of life is and
are threatened by the humans offsetting the balance., which would make a fun
storyline.

I totally agree.  If they were telepathic, its likely they would have a
better understanding of the environment and somehow be at harmony with it.
So, humans would be the ultimate invasive species (the biologist in me is
coming out).  With thier ability to adapt to any environment, they could
totally throw off the balance of SM ecosystems.

Now if you want to get extreme, what could happen with this is that the SMs
want  to ultimately take control of the seas, perhaps to the point of coming
up with a way of raising the sea levels.

I guess that depends on where we see them living.  If you remember the old
aquazone posters, they seemed to be in an environment with huge blue
canyons.  I always considered that hydronauts were spacers who colonized an
ocean planet (which I named Oceanica).  But, were the SMs to invade a
planet, raising the ocean levels would be a rather rude way to terra form
for thier own purposes :)

Furthermore, the Fleebnorks could provide onething that the SMs don't have:
flying ability. And the Fleebs would want to rule the land and air...don't
ask me why, because I haven't thought that far:)

I like that idea.  Though I was toying with the idea of giving the SMs
interstallar "gates" they could use to go planet to planet, in a war they
would still need air and space power.

In thinking about the SMs, what might be important to them is the tactile
and physical... And if they live in a continual noise of thoughts from one
another, what might be terrifying to them is silence. And  that is  why they
are fighting, because they have seen the silence approach after humans have
explored and used their lands.

I really like that.  "To halt the menacing silence."

I spent some time thinking about this while I was building the AttackCrab,
and I agree that wheels are a foreign concept to the SMs. And organic is
another thing that I would expect from the SMs. Most, if not all of the SM
crafts would be based by the environment that they live in, so fish shapes
and other sea animals would be emulated.

Sounds good.