 Administrative / Terms of Use / 70
Re: auction vs non-auction double standard?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 00:44:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.terms, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.admin.terms, Mike Stanley writes:
In lugnet.admin.terms, Todd Lehman writes:

I disagree that there is a "double-standard"
   {some snippage}

OTOH, if the base
standard is "gouging people" (which is what auctions do by putting multiple
buyers in fierce competition with one another) then by that standard, there
isn't a double standard.

Todd, I cannot agree with you here.  Auctions have competition when multiple
bidders are present--this may not happen in all auction cases.  And when some
bidders have more money, desire, etc to buy with than others--well that is life
on Earth, i.e. the haves and the have nots.  Non auction sales are also
competition for items, only the buyers do not necessarily know that they are
competing.

I can surely understand someone hating auctions on basic principle and not
hating straight sales.  But I'll bet even the auction haters probably hate
blatant non-auction flogs.

Out of memory, I cannot think of when I have read a post by someone proclaiming
something like I HATE ALL AUCTIONS.  There are compaints about specific
auctions and complaints about mis-placed auctions and auction announcements,
but I cannot think of anyone who claims to hate auctions.
So, I ask anyone:

Just who are these auctions haters??  Anyone got data compiled on this?? Anyone
got names??

If not, I will continue to belive that the existence of auction haters
is a myth.

__Kevin Salm__