 Administrative / Terms of Use / 52
Re: auction vs non-auction double standard?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 19:56:50 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.admin.terms, James Brown writes:
[...]
I agree with Mike.  My personal preference is to not see any market traffic
unless I go looking for it.(1)  Also, if the double standard didn't exist,
and there were a single rule for market postings, it would go a long way to
eliminating gray area.

I disagree that there is a "double-standard" (but that's just wording),
but I agree that it would go a long way toward eliminating gray areas -- if
the boundaries could be defined clearly (which I'm very skeptical of).

Some things to figure out would be:

How do you define "market traffic"?  It would be very bad, for example, to
prohibit .market.shopping types of posts in the .loc groups or in .general
(notifications of sales, or information about what sets are currently
available at local stores, etc.).  These types of informational postsings
are one of the lifebloods of .loc groups.

How do you define "flogs"?  It would work out OK to prohibit "icky" self-
serving market-style stuff, if that could be defined clearly.  But there are
so many gray areas with that...

Which of the following, for example, would you prefer to see allowed in non-
market groups?

*  "How many different colors of 2x4x3 flibber-globbits have ever been made?"

*  "What sets have red 2x4x3 flibber-globbits?  I need to find a couple for
   a project I'm working on."

*  "Where can I buy 2x4x3 flibber-globbits (any color)?  I desperately need
   a few for spaceship I'm working on."

*  "Want to buy several 2x4x3 flibber-globbits.  Willing to pay $.35 each for
   red or $.40 each for white or black.  Email me.  This is for a giant space
   ship project I'm working on."

*  "I just got back from Toy Swindler on 7th Avenue (downtown)...through
   Friday this week they're having a BOGO (Buy One, Get One) sale on LEGO and
   they have 18 copies of the Majestic Hoglauncher (this is the set with TWO
   red 2x4x3 flibber-globbits!)  Anyone here in town wanna go in with me on
   these 18 copies and split the parts?  We could meet for lunch across the
   street at Soup Garden afterwards and divide stuff up."

*  "OK, I just picked up the 18 copies of Majestic Hoglauncher at Toy
   Swindler's BOGO sale (and MAN was it packed during lunch today), and kept
   out the parts I really wanted the most (list attached below).  Is there
   anyone in the area who'd like to get together and go through the remainder
   of the parts?  I'd be happy to sell them on the spot if it helps me cover
   some of my costs."

*  "I'm having a garage sale on Saturday, 7:00am to dusk; e-mail me for
   directions.  There will be lots of LEGO there (stuff I'm not particularly
   interested in, that I found at other garage sales) so come early.  Might
   also hold a quick impromptu auction or two right there in the driveway if
   there are any disputes over who gets what...heh heh."

*  "I just finally acquired a copy of 1593 yesterday, which makes me 99.5%
   Space-complete (yay!)...but it's missing some of the pieces...  I'd like
   to replace them from old sets, if possible, but I'm not sure which sets
   some of the pieces came from.  Here's a list of the missing ones... [list]
   Any hints or tips in figuring out what sets had these would be greatly
   appreciated.  (Or if you happen to have spares and would like to trade or
   sell them, drop me a note!)"

--Todd