 Administrative / Terms of Use / 60
Re: auction vs non-auction double standard?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 03:26:12 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.admin.terms, Todd Lehman writes:
I disagree that there is a "double-standard" (but that's just wording),

I think there is, and I chose that word/phrase because I thought it would
indicate that it is a potentially charged issue.

People are forbidden to post auctions to any group but .market.auction.
People can post "I'm selling this ..." messages anyplace they want and all
they get is frowned on.

I read .castle to read castle stuff.  I don't WANT to read about someone
selling anything there - period.  I would wager that *I* don't want to read
that just as much as the people who don't want to read auction stuff.

If the true reason for making auction postings verboten is reader/member
desire/likes/offendability, I don't see why bst posts are any different.  It
is still commerce.

Or does it really matter so much that someone is uptight enough to not like a
METHOD of commerce?  Because that's the only other possible justification imo,
and that's pretty weak.

How do you define "market traffic"?  It would be very bad, for example, to

Well, first, you don't clutter it with lots of irrelevant stuff.  Just like
you and I can differentiate between "check out my auction on eBay" from "wow,
can you believe this auction on eBay had THIS outcome?!" we can pick out the
self-serving posts from the non.

Which of the following, for example, would you prefer to see allowed in non-
market groups?

*  "How many different colors of 2x4x3 flibber-globbits have ever been made?"

*  "What sets have red 2x4x3 flibber-globbits?  I need to find a couple for
  a project I'm working on."

These definitely.

*  "Where can I buy 2x4x3 flibber-globbits (any color)?  I desperately need
  a few for spaceship I'm working on."

I'd poke this person and point him to .bst.

*  "Want to buy several 2x4x3 flibber-globbits.  Willing to pay $.35 each for
  red or $.40 each for white or black.  Email me.  This is for a giant space
  ship project I'm working on."

More purely .bst.

*  "I just got back from Toy Swindler on 7th Avenue (downtown)...through
  Friday this week they're having a BOGO (Buy One, Get One) sale on LEGO and
  they have 18 copies of the Majestic Hoglauncher (this is the set with TWO
  red 2x4x3 flibber-globbits!)  Anyone here in town wanna go in with me on
  these 18 copies and split the parts?  We could meet for lunch across the
  street at Soup Garden afterwards and divide stuff up."

Fine.

*  "OK, I just picked up the 18 copies of Majestic Hoglauncher at Toy
  Swindler's BOGO sale (and MAN was it packed during lunch today), and kept
  out the parts I really wanted the most (list attached below).  Is there
  anyone in the area who'd like to get together and go through the remainder
  of the parts?  I'd be happy to sell them on the spot if it helps me cover
  some of my costs."

Fine (given the unwritten agreement that some market stuff is ok in .loc
groups).  NOT fine in .castle.

*  "I'm having a garage sale on Saturday, 7:00am to dusk; e-mail me for
  directions.  There will be lots of LEGO there (stuff I'm not particularly
  interested in, that I found at other garage sales) so come early.  Might
  also hold a quick impromptu auction or two right there in the driveway if
  there are any disputes over who gets what...heh heh."

Fine in .loc

*  "I just finally acquired a copy of 1593 yesterday, which makes me 99.5%
  Space-complete (yay!)...but it's missing some of the pieces...  I'd like
  to replace them from old sets, if possible, but I'm not sure which sets
  some of the pieces came from.  Here's a list of the missing ones... [list]
  Any hints or tips in figuring out what sets had these would be greatly
  appreciated.  (Or if you happen to have spares and would like to trade or
  sell them, drop me a note!)"

Maybe an acceptable cross post.

Here's one that nobody can argue with:

"Hey, I have a MISB copy of 6067 that I'm going to sell.  First offer above
$150 takes it."

I don't want to see that or anything remotely resembling it in .castle.
Themed discussion, not themed commerce.