 Administrative / Suggestions / 211
Re: Fantasy group?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 22:49:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
After doing some reading and thinking, I feel that a new group is not needed
at this time. In fact, its addition may even lead to more harm than good.

I thought Frank made some excellent points in this post:
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=194
which was so good, IMHO, it ought to end up in a FAQ.

I was also affected by  Bruce's comments, which I've trimmed down to bare
bones here:

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Bruce Hietbrink writes:
[...] I would strongly argue against creating a new group for
fantasy.  My reasons:

1.  High traffic.  ?  [...]
3.  More groups = more duplication.  [...]  It would end up getting cross-
posted to both.
4.  No need.  I've heard no outcry in .castle, where these things most
closely belong. [...]
5.  Greater compartmentalization leads to more noise than signal.
I've seen this again and again on Usenet.  Once you start breaking up
into too many sub-groups, you get more complaining about incorrect
placement of posts than you do real posts.  This tends to lead to
arguing, hurt feelings, and a general state of unwelcome [...]

Regarding number 5 scenario above...
[gasp] That would *never* happen on LUGNET!!   ;-)

In the future, I think I'd be more open to the idea of adding a
build.fiction group.

Build.fiction, fantasy, what's the difference? In the long run,
I would consider both to really fit in the same categoory, since,
they're both fiction, and of course, fantasy can really fit into
any genre is you stop to think about it.

However, I disagree with some of the points made above.
Sure, the addition of one more group wouldn't really cause concerns
of cross posting. I.e, Star Wars and space makes a good example of this!

I don't really see a lot of complaints about these issues when it comes
to space/ star wars, but then again, these are themes.
Arguments about cross posting are usually started by the same group
of idiots who want to spread their authority and see how far they
can push it. I can understand "communitive guidance" once in a while,
but when people actually argue about cross posting, this is in turn cross
posted to .admin. A fair trade? No way!
That just makes the situation worse, and I doubt a group of
rational people such as ourselves would argue on a topic so
trivial as this.

Anyway, here's a thing to think of...what about those groups
that get generally no posting at all, such as Harry Potter,
Ninja, Underground, etc. I can go on and on about these, so why
not just take a few of these newsgroups, toss them, and create a
new one instead? It would make Lugnet a bit more navigatable, and
Harry Potter would really fit in the Fantasy them anyway...Ninja
could stick back at castle, since, obviously, most Ninja builders
are lurkers or posters at .castle.

Well, this is another of my opinions, and I stand strong in that,
but I think this would be a good cause for this. Theme based groups
are good and all, but when groups like Jack Stone and Bionicle come up,
I ask myself, Is there any need?

Just my two brickz...

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Lugnet No. 1112