 Administrative / Suggestions / 209
Re: Fantasy group?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 22:07:28 GMT

After doing some reading and thinking, I feel that a new group is not needed
at this time. In fact, its addition may even lead to more harm than good.

I thought Frank made some excellent points in this post:
  http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=194
which was so good, IMHO, it ought to end up in a FAQ.

I was also affected by  Bruce's comments, which I've trimmed down to bare
bones here:

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Bruce Hietbrink writes:
[...] I would strongly argue against creating a new group for
fantasy.  My reasons:

1.  High traffic.  ?  [...]
3.  More groups = more duplication.  [...]  It would end up getting cross-
posted to both.
4.  No need.  I've heard no outcry in .castle, where these things most
closely belong. [...]
5.  Greater compartmentalization leads to more noise than signal.
I've seen this again and again on Usenet.  Once you start breaking up
into too many sub-groups, you get more complaining about incorrect
placement of posts than you do real posts.  This tends to lead to
arguing, hurt feelings, and a general state of unwelcome [...]

Regarding number 5 scenario above...
[gasp] That would *never* happen on LUGNET!!   ;-)

In the future, I think I'd be more open to the idea of adding a
build.fiction group.

-Suz