 Administrative / Suggestions / 200
Re: Fantasy group?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 22:30:17 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Jude Beaudin writes:
I don't think Kevin (the original poster) is seeking to have things move out
of .castle but he wants a place for the type of fantasy that he does not
feel belongs in .castle nor .space in the first place. He is not seeking the
elimination of theme based groups. He wants a fantasy equivalent to .ancient
or .military who both found a home in .build.

I think of this as a divergance from .castle like .mecha (also in .build)
was from .space.

You point out someting which I was somewhat ignoring, that someone posting the
material is asking for a new group, however, a quick search for Pern on Lugnet
finds 22 posts, 7 of which are in the thread which Kevin started, 8 of which
(at the time of searching which necessarily doesn't include the post I am
writing) are in this thread, 1 from February of this year, and the rest from
the distant past, so we have about 15 posts which perhaps would belong in
this new group which initially doesn't seem like enough to justify a new
group.

What I would suggest is that the Pern discussion either take place in .castle
(which is where I would like to see it) or .general (which is the default place
for homeless discussion), and see if it has a life of more than a couple days.

Of course the search is ignoring the possibility of other threads belonging in
the new group, of which the LOTR threads have been raised as a possibility. So
a question arises as to whether the .castle folks and the folks posting LOTR
material feel that such material would benefit from being in another group or
otherwise needs to get out of .castle.

Frank

Actually, LOTR and Pern would probably door quite
well together if placed in a fantasy group. Since LOTR
really doesn't revolve around castle, and is positioned
so far beyond the verge of fantasy, where it really has
nothing to do with castle, except in the case of mindless
wars, I would find it to go in the group in question )i.e fantasy)

Here's an interesting proposition. Why not eliminate a theme
based group and merge it with other discussion mediums
that would otherwise have no basis (besides .general)
an idea for this would to eliminate .underground.
This newsgroup hasn't got a post for like four months.
(since the last time I checked), and I think if it were
to be replaced with .fantasy, nobody would miss it.
Actually, I fing underground to be a tad superficial at
that, so I think it would also merge well in fantasy terms.

Or for that matter, you could just forget about the group,
since most underground builders are probably in the space
or mecha newsroups.

Sure, I know there is little room to add new neswgroups, so
that's why I suggested replacing one. Here's a few other
suggestions.

1. Add a new category to lugnet.build
2. Add a subgroup to .castle
3. Get rid of an abscure newsgroup and replace it
with the newsgroup in question.

Well, these are vague suggestions, I know...but I'm
sure these will be helpful, if not, decent
suggestions on a way to add a new chapter
on the epic battle for fantasy independence
from castle.

Just my two bricks...

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Lugnet No. 1112