 Administrative / Suggestions / 205
Re: Fantasy group?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 00:52:57 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Thomas Garrison writes:
On Thu, 2 May 2002, Frank Filz wrote:

Now I suppose the problem of many groups is less for folks who use the
web interface (where you can totally turn off compartmentalization by
just reading everything at the top level).

That's odd. . .I was just thinking that adding more groups might be a
problem for Web readers, since that's more clicks to follow each group of
interest.  For NNTP it's easy (at least with Pine and, I assume, other
newsreaders): if the group is of interest, add it---the newsreader will
check it for new messages, and not bother you if there are none; if the
group is not of interest, there's that much less noise.

I use Netscape, and at work at least, used to have it only display groups with
unread messages. Currently though, my Netscapes are all set up to show all
groups (in fact, I don't see a way to tell it to not display groups with no
unread messages). However, even with that, there was still a problem with too
many groups, I leave messages unread which I want to come back to (in part so
that I can update my links pages as time permits [sadly, I failed to check the
.newsrc I e-mailed home from my old work computer before turning it in during
my employment saga and it's corrupted, which probably means that my links pages
will end up being abandoned - they've been taking too much time anyway]).

In any event, the way I used news, too many groups that I might be interested
in does indeed leave me not looking at the one's which have slipped my mind.

Frank