 Administrative / General / 7384
Re: Pruning not good for the trees
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 23:34:52 GMT

[...]
SINCE Lugnet does exercise editorial control, it has to act swiftly to excise
this info once discovered, or else its liability is drastically increased.
[...]

I object to that statement -- it's wording.  My opinion is that LUGNET does
not exercise editorial control but will, when required, forcibly remove
information from its server when it has been notified that the information
must be removed on legal grounds of it violating someone's IP rights.

To me, editorial control implies consideration and decision.  Although it is
certainly a conscious decision to agree to honor TLC legal requests to remove
things quickly rather than wait for a lawsuit to occur, it is certainly not a
conscious decision to go ahead and exercise control over what ever gets
deleted.  Messages containing sensitive imformation were deleted upon request.
I have made no agreement (nor plan to) remove future information of a similar
nature without first being requested in a similar or more formal legal fashion.

In other words, I consider what I have done in my role as admin yesterday as
having been a drone and having complied with a specific one-time legal
request.  I do not pass judgment on the request nor do I consider it a
reasonable option to have refused.  I only needed to verify that it was a
true legal request from someone I have met -- and trust to be honest and
acting in good faith -- at LEGO.

Any "real" editorial control that may happen is voluntary.  LUGNET's Terms of
Use Agreement requires people to voluntarily exercise editorial control over
themselves.  If someone violates the agreement, they choose to cancel their
post but it would not be focibly removed unless there were a legal requirement.

I hope this clarifies things.

--Todd