 Administrative / General / 7348
Re: Pruning not good for the trees
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 03:54:27 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller writes:
Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote:
Needs to be done in such a way that nothing remains of the post itself at
all except the anchors so it's clear that no editorial control was being
done, it was just a nuke.

I'm pretty sure removing things like this is editorial control, wholesale or
not.

Prolly. But removing the whole thing is "less" control than excising words but
leaving the rest. Or so I seem to recall Prodigy's lawyer telling me about 15
years ago when I first started looking into this topic. And "less" control,
especially when forced by a third party, theoretically gives you a better
defense in case the snippee sues. Or so I recall.

Now, we certainly could debate whether TLC has the authority, or whether Todd
does, or whether he should or not assuming he does. But that's not what I was
posting about. I'm just looking for a technofix to this completely shattered
tree. At this point even the parts of the tree that are a ways away from the
prunes are still not threading properly in the nested tree display on the web.

Let's talk about that. It's more interesting than the same old ground we talk
about when this sort of thing comes up. No one's opinion is going to change
anyway, right? :-)

++Lar