 Administrative / General / 7346
7345  |  7347
Subject:
Pruning not good for the trees
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 03:43:24 GMT

I just went and looked at the 2001 set info tree and with all the cancels,
that tree is dust. The tree view for me showed a bunch of disconnected posts
with no hierarchy at all.

Is that an inevitable outcome of wholesale cancellation or is there a way to
stitch it back together when you display by doing some inferring and guessing
about the positioning of posts? I'm thinking not.

Failing that, I wonder if in this case we'd be better off if you excised the
posts but left them in place (emptied of any content) instead of cancelling.
Needs to be done in such a way that nothing remains of the post itself at all
except the anchors so it's clear that no editorial control was being done, it
was just a nuke.

++Lar