 Administrative / General / 731
  Re: Some Running Thoughts about THROWBOTS

(...) In fact, this same message, or one very like it, was posted to several groups, but several times, instead of as one message with multiple groups selected. I personally find that very annoying. How do we encourage people not to do that? It (...) (26 years ago, 6-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Some Running Thoughts about THROWBOTS

Also sprach Larry Pieniazek: : do that? It wastes space on the server, and wastes time for every reader : who sees it more than once, and finally, when it is a message likely to : get replies, fragments the replies all over the place, as independent (...) (26 years ago, 6-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Some Running Thoughts about THROWBOTS

(...) Gee, I hope not, since i changed sides... :-) (26 years ago, 6-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Some Running Thoughts about THROWBOTS

(...) I agree it's very annoying. I'm not sure how to encourage people not to do that. I think maybe some education about multiple-newsgroup systems. Maybe something for the FAQ. People need to understand about cross-posting (and how not to abuse (...) (26 years ago, 6-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Carrying rec.toys.lego on lugnet.com

(...) Interesting -- I see it the other way. Larry's statement reminds me of one of the disadvantages of carrying RTL here: a likely increase in fragmented replies from people cross-posting thread-starting-points and half of the replies showing up (...) (26 years ago, 7-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Some Running Thoughts about THROWBOTS

(...) Well, actually, no it doesn't. Todd came up with a pretty impressive bunch o' reasons why cross-posting between rtl and lugnet wouldn't be allowed. (26 years ago, 7-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Carrying rec.toys.lego on lugnet.com

(...) I can see maybe allowing cross-posting between rtl and lugnet.general (and perhaps the marketplace groups?) but I think in general what'd happen is: the threads would diverge into off-topicness, but'd be very very difficult to redirect to the (...) (26 years ago, 7-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Carrying rec.toys.lego on lugnet.com

(...) Ooh. Hadn't thought of that one. :-( Good point! I'll bet that would happen too. All things considered, the only reasonable (workable) option might be simply to carry rec.toys.lego here but prevent any cross-posting, simply as a convenience (...) (26 years ago, 7-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Carrying rec.toys.lego on lugnet.com

Also sprach Todd Lehman: : How might things actually play out if cross-posting between rec.toys.lego : and lugnet.* groups were allowed for people who've gone through the news- : posting setup? (Obviously, it can't be allowed for people who have not (...) (26 years ago, 7-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Some Running Thoughts about THROWBOTS

Also sprach Matthew Miller: : Well, actually, no it doesn't. Todd came up with a pretty impressive bunch : o' reasons why cross-posting between rtl and lugnet wouldn't be allowed. It really doesn't matter to me. I was able to set up an alias for tin (...) (26 years ago, 7-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Some Running Thoughts about THROWBOTS

(...) which I remain convinced either are not valid or which can be solved. Todd is quite clever, you know. (26 years ago, 7-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Some Running Thoughts about THROWBOTS

(...) I have NS configured just fine to read both places with only one installation and one copy of the executables, I can move between them at will. I am against hosting RTL here unless cross posting problems can be solved and cross posting is (...) (26 years ago, 7-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Carrying rec.toys.lego on lugnet.com

(...) Not to suggest anything bad about RTLers specifically, but it has been my experience that when you're talking about getting a large group of people to do something that they don't *have* to do, even if it would be to their benefit, chances are (...) (26 years ago, 8-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Carrying rec.toys.lego on lugnet.com

(...) Screw that. I'm sure you consider certain other things to be of greater importance than this, so spend your time on them. I know I think there are many things in the master Lugnet plan that aren't here yet that vastly outweigh carrying rtl (...) (26 years ago, 8-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Some Running Thoughts about THROWBOTS

(...) Yes, he is. But he's only one man, and he has a lot of irons in the fire. Unless he can clone himself a few times I think we'll just have to accept that some of these little side issues will either be put on hold or the large Big Plan issues (...) (26 years ago, 8-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Some Running Thoughts about THROWBOTS

(...) That's pretty much how I see it right now -- the disadvantages outweigh the advantages, all things considered. Lots of work, little gain relative to other stuff. It's important to me to get the ball rolling on things like themage because (...) (26 years ago, 8-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Carrying rec.toys.lego on lugnet.com

(...) Indeed. (Hence the "Ug." :-) But thanks for making me clarify in no uncertain terms that I agree with you wholeheartedly. I think the RTL thing has been discussed and re-discussed enough to dismiss as (a) something that's not an immediate (...) (26 years ago, 8-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Carrying rec.toys.lego on lugnet.com

(...) That's my experience too. :-/ Of course it's just human nature -- people almost always need a selfish reason to go out of their way for something so idiosyncratic. (...) Hee hee. :) (...) And on top of that, there's the constant influx of (...) (26 years ago, 8-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Carrying rec.toys.lego on lugnet.com

Well since getting RTL here sometime in the near future looks practicaly impossible... Is there a news server that does carry it. I dislike using the AOL browser for anything, for me AOL is just a internet connection. Outlook Express does a (...) (26 years ago, 10-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Carrying rec.toys.lego on lugnet.com

Also sprach Fred Carcanague III: : Well since getting RTL here sometime in the near future looks practicaly : impossible... Is there a news server that does carry it. I dislike using the : AOL browser for anything, for me AOL is just a internet (...) (26 years ago, 10-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Carrying rec.toys.lego on lugnet.com

Dejanews doesn't work w/Outlook Express. Despite some peoples poor expreiences w/this software, I have had nothing but good come out of it. I had a news server that carried RTL but it went belly up after just after x-mass, don't know why but can't (...) (26 years ago, 11-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Carrying rec.toys.lego on lugnet.com

Also sprach Fred Carcanague III: : Dejanews doesn't work w/Outlook Express. Despite some peoples poor : expreiences w/this software, I have had nothing but good come out of it. I That's because DejaNews is a web interface. Use a web browser and (...) (26 years ago, 11-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Carrying rec.toys.lego on lugnet.com

(...) If you want a news server that's a) worth a damn and b) carries RTL you're going to have to pay for it. TANSTAAFL. I'd check out newsguy.com. I have an Extra account (details at (URL) ) I paid for it for 6 months last time, $39.95, so less (...) (26 years ago, 11-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Carrying rec.toys.lego on lugnet.com

(...) I think the whole point is he *wants* to use Outlook Express, not the web or AOL's crappy interface. (26 years ago, 11-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Carrying rec.toys.lego on lugnet.com

(...) Or, find a better ISP than AOL.... (26 years ago, 11-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Carrying rec.toys.lego on lugnet.com

AOL is free to me for now, no real need to change till I actualy have to pay for it. Thenewsguy I have tried but it disapeared from Outlook after the 1st reading of posts. I'll keep looking tho, hopefuly I can find a fairly decient one w/o having to (...) (26 years ago, 11-Jan-99, to lugnet.admin.general)