 Administrative / General / 735
734  |  736
Subject:
Carrying rec.toys.lego on lugnet.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 01:38:39 GMT

Beaker <beaker@havoc.gtf.org> writes:

Also sprach Larry Pieniazek:
do that? It wastes space on the server, and wastes time for every reader
who sees it more than once, and finally, when it is a message likely to
get replies, fragments the replies all over the place, as independent
threads start in each group where it was posted.

That last argument also serves as a reason to host rtl on lugnet.   Or
is that a dead issue?  :)

Interesting -- I see it the other way.  Larry's statement reminds me of one
of the disadvantages of carrying RTL here:  a likely increase in fragmented
replies from people cross-posting thread-starting-points and half of the
replies showing up only on the RTL side (because they were posted by people
who hadn't gone through the news-posting setup here).

OTOH, if 90% (or more) of RTL'ers could be convinced to go through the news-
posting setup here -- even if they didn't actually post _directly_ here --
then, conceivably, things might work out without creating massive
fragmentation and confusion.

How might things actually play out if cross-posting between rec.toys.lego
and lugnet.* groups were allowed for people who've gone through the news-
posting setup?  (Obviously, it can't be allowed for people who have not gone
through the news-posting setup.)  Would it result in everyone eventually
doing it? -- or in most people ignoring it and irking everyone else from the
fragmentation?  Of course there is only one way to know for sure, but what
are some predictions?

--Todd