 Administrative / General / 738
Re: Carrying rec.toys.lego on lugnet.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 03:51:29 GMT

mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
How might things actually play out if cross-posting between rec.toys.lego
and lugnet.* groups were allowed for people who've gone through the news-
posting setup?  (Obviously, it can't be allowed for people who have not gone

I can see maybe allowing cross-posting between rtl and lugnet.general (and
perhaps the marketplace groups?) but I think in general what'd happen is:
the threads would diverge into off-topicness, but'd be very very difficult
to redirect to the appropriate group because people would keep responding to
the thread on rtl.

Ooh.  Hadn't thought of that one.  :-(  Good point!  I'll bet that would
happen too.

All things considered, the only reasonable (workable) option might be simply
to carry rec.toys.lego here but prevent any cross-posting, simply as a
convenience for people who currently have to go use two newsservers.  Since
there is in practice no cross-posting between rec.toys.lego & lugnet.*
groups at present, it wouldn't change anything except to make it easier for
some people to access both types of groups.  (And it might stir up lots of
questions about why cross-posting is disallowed, but I think that's pretty
well documented at this point.)

Ug, in any scenario, it means some very careful newsserver custom-mods and
testing which would derail other stuff.  :-(

--Todd