 Administrative / General / 732
Re: Some Running Thoughts about THROWBOTS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 23:25:32 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lpien@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com> writes:

Todd Lehman wrote:

"Richard Wright" <rwright@pcsedu.com> writes:

[snipped informal review of Throw Bots]

Richard,

Does the message you just posted to the .announce group really qualify as a
"general-interest announcement to the community (breaking news about
products, releases, contests, events, and sites, etc.)" ?

In fact, this same message, or one very like it, was posted to several
groups, but several times, instead of as one message with multiple
groups selected.

I personally find that very annoying. How do we encourage people not to
do that? It wastes space on the server, and wastes time for every reader
who sees it more than once, and finally, when it is a message likely to
get replies, fragments the replies all over the place, as independent
threads start in each group where it was posted.

I agree it's very annoying.  I'm not sure how to encourage people not to do
that.  I think maybe some education about multiple-newsgroup systems.  Maybe
something for the FAQ.

People need to understand about cross-posting (and how not to abuse it).
But most of all, I think beginners (in a multiple-newsgroup environment,
that is) should try to err on the side of "less is better" until they become
comfortable with the system.  IMO, Richard's message should only have been
posted to one of those 3 newsgruops.

--Todd