 Administrative / General / 2022
Re: New blood
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 15:48:52 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Sybrand Bonsma writes:
The (my) problem with such a post is that you probably also get people on
Lugnet that are only interested in selling or buying sets.

Every type of LEGO fan is welcome here.

Not a real
problem as long as they post in the correct newsgroups, but I suspect that
some of those people will post their message also in lugnet.general and
other newsgroups which are not appropriate and which might irratitate the
'regular' people on Lugnet.

That's a risk, but it's not impossible to (a) educate people not to do that
and (b) boot riff-raff who refuse to play by the rules.  So far, no one has
ever needed the boot for that, and only a couple or three people have posted
auction or for-sale stuff in .general, etc., and those cases were primarily
accidents of pure misunderstanding rather than mischief.

So, in my opinion it would be best to say to the regular people on RTL
that lugnet exists and that they should check it out, but this is a lot
more work.

I don't think it's possible to define "regular" people, is it?  And if you
tried to keep certain types of people out, you'd just be disappointed when
they found out about it some other way (like a web link).

Either way, LUGNET isn't designed to be a private country club or fraternity
where the in-people make new-blood selections.  Rather, all blood is welcome
here -- with open arms.  As long as someone is willing to play by the rules
of the sandbox (and there really aren't too many), then they're welcome to
stop by, visit, lurk, join in the discussions, stay a while, or whatever.

I`m trying to already note the few contacts I have and that I think don't
know the existence of Lugnet of its existence.

I think making personal invitations to friends/contacts is great.  Personal
recommendations carry much more weight than blanket recommendations.

But if we consciously try to exclude whole other groups or subgroups of
people, that just isn't healthy for the community, IMO.

--Todd