 Administrative / General / 2069
Re: New blood
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 17:40:47 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
Every type of LEGO fan is welcome here.

Heh heh, I should clarify that:  Every type of LEGO fan is welcome here, so
long as they're willing to play well in the sandbox.  Spitting and throwing
sand and screaming aren't right for this place as they might be other
places.  That doesn't necessarily mean that some people just can't be here
-- it just means that some people will either have to act a little nicer
than they usually do on Usenet, or if they can't do that, then I suppose
they won't feel comfortable here, and they'll choose not to participate
here.

Not to be TOO exclusionary, but certain posters to RTL don't pass my
internal "are they a fan" filter. I can't concretely characterise it,
but it involves things like not spamming, actually participating in
discussions instead of just dumping listings, and knowing a little tiny
bit about the brick, or at least wanting to learn.

That's OK, though, let them come here, they won't last.

That's my theory too.  Much better to give people the benefit of the doubt
and they'll choose to leave if it doesn't fit their personality, than to be
prejudiced in any way.  SB was even welcomed here with open arms last fall
(not specifically invited, but rather, not turned away or discouraged).  It
looks like he never posted anything, but he did sign up to post.  So
assuming he's lurking, that's definitely one form of playing well in the
sandbox.

--Todd