 Administrative / General / 2107
Re: Proposed message (was: Re: New blood)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 09:04:36 GMT

I am sorry that I wrote Suzanne Vega instead of Suzanne Rich. One of my bad
habits: thinking you know the right answer, so don't checking it. But it is of
course Suzanne Rich and Todd Lehman who maintain LUGNET. (Although it might be
nice if Suzanne Vega would help ;) )

I have also taken a look at the previously message that was posted on RTL
(according to dejanews in december 1998) with the same subject and tried to
combine both. I also discovered that I forgot to mention one very important
thing: The URL of LUGNET.

This is what the result is:

Hello all LEGO fans,

With this message I want to let you know the existence of LUGNET, another
place to share the joy of LEGO, make friends, share ideas, and participate in
our special community.

LUGNET (Lego Users Group Network) is a network that is voluntarily maintained
by Todd Lehman and Suzanne Rich, to bring LEGO fans closer together. It
contains a
wealth of information which is all free accessible.

On LUGNET you can find among other LEGO related things:
- A searchable database with pictures of most sets made by The LEGO Group in
  past and present
- Links to many, many LEGO pages, with pictures of peoples own creations and
  more references to specific LEGO themes.
- Inventories of many sets.
- Many LEGO related newsgroups that are organized by subject and category.
  There are general groups, and speciality groups like Trains, StarWars, and
  market place. It has also many local newsgroups where you can discuss
  with other LEGO fans from your own area.

Since the LUGNET newsgroups are hosted on a customized, privately owned
newsserver, there are a couple notable differences between RTL and the
LUGNET newsgroups:
- Everyone is expected to tell their real life name.
- Everyone can read the LUGNET postings, but before posting new
   messages, you must agree to follow some basic rules of netiquette and
   agree to conditions of use.
- Postings appear instantly to all readers because everyone connects
   directly to the same central newsserver; there are no message
   propagation delays or missed messages because your ISP didn't
   pick up some message(s).
- Because it is a privately owned newsserver, there is no guarantee that
   it will be around forever and ever.  However, the owners/operators are
   die hard LEGO fanatics and are committed to its ongoing existence.

I am posting this message on my own behalf because I think that is a great site
for everyone who is a fan of LEGO. LUGNET has given me a lot of information to
identify some older sets I recently bought and has brought me in contact with
many other LEGO fans. Therefore, I  really recommend to take a look at LUGNET.
You can find LUGNET at:
http://www.lugnet.com

Sybrand Bonsma