 Administrative / General / 2064
Re: New blood
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 11:18:30 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Sybrand Bonsma writes:
The (my) problem with such a post is that you probably also get people on
Lugnet that are only interested in selling or buying sets.

Every type of LEGO fan is welcome here.

I know that and I think that is how it should be. The people I was thinking
about are people that want to sell LEGO without respecting other people
opinions and comments. I'm thinking of a person from about a year / year and a
half on RTL who wanted to make a business out of selling LEGO. However I
wouldn't mind if someone like Emanuel from Ets-Dya-Shopping, who also runs a
business, posted here once in a while because he does respect other people.

Not a real
problem as long as they post in the correct newsgroups, but I suspect that
some of those people will post their message also in lugnet.general and
other newsgroups which are not appropriate and which might irratitate the
'regular' people on Lugnet.

That's a risk, but it's not impossible to (a) educate people not to do that
and (b) boot riff-raff who refuse to play by the rules.  So far, no one has
ever needed the boot for that, and only a couple or three people have posted
auction or for-sale stuff in .general, etc., and those cases were primarily
accidents of pure misunderstanding rather than mischief.

Indeed, that`s true. But I think the number of posts in the wrong newsgroups
will increase a lot, because the people who are currently on LUGNET are mostly
fans who are around a long itme, whereas many people on RTL are relatively a
short time active.

So, in my opinion it would be best to say to the regular people on RTL
that lugnet exists and that they should check it out, but this is a lot
more work.

I don't think it's possible to define "regular" people, is it?  And if you
tried to keep certain types of people out, you'd just be disappointed when
they found out about it some other way (like a web link).

It is indeed hard to define 'regular' people, (I thought I had placed brackets
in the original post, because the difficulty of defining regular), and that is
the main problem with this solution. When people find out about LUGNET via a
web link or something, it shows IMO that they are interested in LEGO in general
and not only to sell the LEGO they have stored in the closet for years.

Either way, LUGNET isn't designed to be a private country club or fraternity
where the in-people make new-blood selections.  Rather, all blood is welcome
here -- with open arms.  As long as someone is willing to play by the rules
of the sandbox (and there really aren't too many), then they're welcome to
stop by, visit, lurk, join in the discussions, stay a while, or whatever.

I think making personal invitations to friends/contacts is great.  Personal
recommendations carry much more weight than blanket recommendations.

Therefore, I think this is one of the bests way to get new blood in of which we
are pretty sure that they will contribute to the present community. With a post
on RTL you will also get new blood in, but you are less sure what the results
are.

But if we consciously try to exclude whole other groups or subgroups of
people, that just isn't healthy for the community, IMO.

--Todd

You have a good point there.

So, overviewing your comments I think you would appreciate if once in a while a
post about LUGNET was placed on RTL (among other methods to get new blood).
I will try to make an example of such a post and first place that in this
thread so everybody can comment on that before I post it periodically on RTL.
One last question: Who runs the RTL FAQ ? I don't see it often on RTL, and
maybe it is a good idea to post both messages at the same time.

Sybrand Bonsma