 Trains / 5207
Re: First draft of the Lego-Modular Train layout standards posted..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:56:16 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:

Is 44 long enough for 8 wide stock?  That translates to a 55 foot long car.
I would have though 64 studs (80 feet), or at the minimum 56 studs (70
feet).  What is the longest train car that could be considered very common?
You would have to worry about both the interior of the curve where the car
hangs over and also the outside of the curve where the nose might stick out
if the trucks are set back a bit, like they are on many locomotives.

Good point. Perhaps instead of setting a length standard (although that is
useful when calculating siding capacity) the standard should speak to the
envelope of clearance that must be provided. (there must be 4 studs clearance
from the edge of the tie at all heights above 2 bricks above rail, 2 below
that, or something similar)

Then if a large articulated can fit, it doesn't matter how long it is.

Conversely I bet I can make a (pathological) 44 stud long 8 wide that won't
pass the nominal standard. I'll just put the wheels in the very center,
ensuring that the ends swing out and swipe everything.

If you see what I am saying.

Nevertheless speaking in terms of a length that's allowed is an easy way
as measuring clearance envelopes is rather tedious work.

When this is agreed on for length between wheel sets and length in front of
the front wheelset and behind the rear one, I will add the clearance
requirements to the standards.

Precisely what i was getting at, guess I should have read to the bottom. These
lengths matter. Perhaps we need a standard "clearance car" that has to fit.
Anything else is fine as long as it doesn't exceed the loading gauge/clearance
envelope the "clearance car" defines.