 Trains / 5191
Re: First draft of the Lego-Modular Train layout standards posted..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:20:42 GMT

"Mike Poindexter" <lego@poindexter.cc> wrote:

The preliminary page for Lego-modular standards is up at:
http://www.sirius.com/~latha/lego/modules/standards.htm

...I've been quiet till now, waiting for the draft to come up (had trouble following the
discussion thru threads before now :-/. But I can say I support the idea and am figuring
out now how to make our layout compatible with the modular one.

...We are using table top layouts based loosely on the PNLTC standard. An observation I
have is using incremental brick heights between the two different table heights. PNLTC
(and WAMALUG) use 36 5/8" as 'ground level' while the proposed standard uses 29 3/4" + 10
bricks as ground level (33 11/16"). That's nearly 8 bricks difference (1 brick ~1 cm), and
unfortunately, this does not come out to a clean number of bricks so it would be
exceedingly difficult to marry the two together in a pure fashion.

...The problem can be solved if/when we need to by just putting books or something else
under the legs of the shorter/modular tables, but since we are proposing a standard here,
I thought I'd bring up a suggestion to take into account the higher tables so that future
tables can be built to make the transition easier. Or if the table height wont change
(likely) a standard sized 'box' or 'riser' can be spec'ed out so we can have a few on hand
to raise the tables as needed.

In the near future, I plan to post pictures detailing how the lattice
structure is made from 2x4 bricks as well as the optional 2x6 style.

Over time, I will document all stages of module construction and show all
the building techniques to speed up putting these things together, including
easy ways to install roads in towns, control boxes, etc.

...I look forward to those. :-)

The building instructions are not up yet, as I need to make some more
examples on the modules I have at home for pictures.

...you can go back to ignoring me now...

wubwub
stephen f roberts
wamalug guy  (http://wamalug.org)
wildlink.com