 Trains / 5178
Re: First draft of the Lego-Modular Train layout standards posted..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 05:05:45 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, Paul Foster writes:
So a module is defined as 144 x 96 studs according to your page which is
a 2x3 grid of 48x48 stud baseplates, cool.  The only problem I saw with the
page is that you are using the terms 'wide' and 'deep' to discuss size
but haven't really defined them.  Actually, you did, but it seemed backwards
to what I know of the modules.  So a normal, standard module will have two
baseplates or three baseplates on the side facing the crowd?

Paul (at work)

2 baseplates.  The older modules from the GMLTC that most people are familiar
with will soon be no more.  They have opted for new modules that are 60" wide
and 40" deep and will be running all 8-wide rolling stock.  The size they
chose was influenced a lot by what their trailer could handle.  I guess it is
better than basing it off the width of two horses' asses.  :-)

On the BayLTC modules, we are not limited by a specific trailer, and the 45"
depth was easier to work out with the large gray baseplates, so it was
chosen.  I should also mention that I had already built 15 module tables that
were 30"x45".  Although 60" x 45" modules would have worked fine, I have no
other AFOLs in my area to really help me move the modules, so I have to have
them light enough that my wife can help me move them.  Also, two of my modules
are the same width as the new GMLTC modules.

I realized some people might be confused, so I added definitions to make sure
that people didn't misunderstand what was written.  I hope this answers your
questions.