 Trains / 5187
Re: First draft of the Lego-Modular Train layout standards posted..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:16:33 GMT

I think that Lego is getting pretty ridiculous on their protection.
Lego-modular describes exactly what it is.  What else should it be called?
Modular train tables using ABS automatic binding bricks?  That opens the
door for people to use rivtek and other brands, which most people don't want
to do.

What are their lawyers going to do, force me to change the name?  Well, then
they can do that, but why should I change the name out of fear of their
lawyers?  They are not going to start off with a lawsuit, so the worst I
will be in is to get the same letter that tons of other people get.  If they
want it changed, they will let me know.  If they don't care, but I am afraid
to name it Lego-modular, then I have lost the desired name for nothing.
Really, this shouldn't be a big deal.  I don't know how often their legal
department reads lugnet, but I have a feeling that if they want it renamed,
they will let me know soon.  At that point, they will have to pony up a
suggestion that would meet with their approval.

All trademark infringement laws aside, this is the "standard" set for
modular Lego train layouts.  I think that should be stated somewhere in the
title and to not do so doesn't make sense.  Perhaps I will just have to put
LEGO in all caps and the tm sign on it.

Mike

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message
I'm certainly not up on all the intricacies of trademark law, but I
would think that there is a difference between what you use to describe
your layout, and the name applied to a published standard. I'm just
suggesting that this issue be looked at before TLC Legal has an
opportunity to get in a dither about it.

Frank