 Trains / 5249
Re: First draft of the Lego-Modular Train layout standards posted..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:22:17 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Precisely what i was getting at, guess I should have read to the bottom. These
lengths matter. Perhaps we need a standard "clearance car" that has to fit.
Anything else is fine as long as it doesn't exceed the loading gauge/clearance
envelope the "clearance car" defines.

Hmm, interesting, can one come up with a single car?

One thing I immediately wondered is if the clearance specs define a
maximum distance between wheelsets (actually between truck pin) and a
maximum extension beyond this point, would you get different, non
overlapping envelopes between a short car with a long overhang, and a
long car with little overhang. Fortuanately, I realized that the longer
wheelbase is going to push the overhang further out on a curve than a
shorter wheelbase (think of the "angle" the car is making with the track
at each truck, the longer the wheelbase, the sharper this angle, and the
sharper that angle, the more the overhang sticks out).

Of course this degenerate (extremely long) car will actually produce
more clearance than is strictly necessary, but it never hurts to have a
little too much clearance.

One issue though, one probably will want to have a tunnel portal
situated in the middle of a reasonable straight section, otherwise it
could look real ridiculous (of course if your curve has straight
sections interspersed, it will allow tighter clearances).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com