 Trains / 31376
31375  |  31377
Subject:
Rendering with Motion Blur: MegaPov vs. Overlaying Multiple Pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:46:56 GMT

Hello to all train heads,

since some life has returned to Lugnet.trains, I may use this opportunity to give a little info on my latest render experience.

A few weeks ago I was looking for motion blur effects (to generate more realism in animations rendered in PovRay). Thus I found this thread, that had been published at Lugnet more than 10 (!!) years ago: http://news.lugnet.com/cad/ray/?n=230 At that time I had not even installed LDraw on my PC and from today’s point of view it appears still a small wonder, that nobody has been working on that effect since then (if so I have definitely missed it)....

That picture of an airplane is still pretty cool and I had to install Megapov to imitate that 10 yearss old effect on my own, which has been described in this 1000steine thread: http://www.1000steine.de/1000steine/forum2/forum_entry.php?id=228176 (in German language but only the pictures are of any importance anyway).

After this fast success I tried something more advanced (as if a steam train was being more advanced than a airplaine... => at least it has more moving parts).

Today my latest picture (including 8-step motion blur) has been rendered through after more than 4 days of render time.

The same picture without motion blur takes less than 90 seconds. Rendering this 8 times and fuse them in a graphic program (in my case I have used picture publisher 8.0 - a (very) cheap 10 years old program I own) appeared to be more efficient.

But even if a macro is used to create 1 picture from 8 ones, this is a huge part of manual work to generate some hundreds of pictures as needed for a short animation.....

If anybody knows a free software to create automatically many fused graphic files, please let me know.

Hope you enjoy + Leg Godt!

See more pictures of my models at www.brickshelf.com