 Trains / 31377
Re: The newer magnets...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2011 23:48:48 GMT

On 11-09-19 02:33 AM, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:

Mostly old couplings rip apart. Sometimes the connection between an old and a
new one are the weakest link in such a train. However, the strongest set of
couplings I found has been of old type as well.

The new couplings are pretty strong (in average slightly better than the old
system). The connecting force is at least as stronger than any engine with 1 or
even 2 motors. Even the strongest engine (the Emerald Night with 150g pulling
power ) will not rip magnets apart.

A couple of our NALUG members have used some small rare earth magnets that they
bought. You put one between the regular LEGO couplers and they make the join
much stronger. Both of them like long trains, and both build detailed (and
heavy) cars. At the show this past weekend (web page to come eventually!) Kevin's
DCC rig (controller + booster) was close to its limit with 8 9V motors running
on the two mainlines.

-Chris Gray (NALUG)