 Trains / 31599
Re: The newer magnets... // "Photos or it didn't happen."
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2012 16:49:12 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Matthew J. Chiles wrote:

   Now that they have been around a while I would be curious to know what people think of them. Are they as good as the old? Even better? What are the advantages or disadvantages? Thanks!

-Matt :)

Getting back on a very old topic (“since we all know that a picture is worth a thousand of words” - “Photos or it didn’t happen.”):

Hope you enjoy (despite of destroying LEGO parts) + Leg Godt!

Thanks for showing off the “guts”. I had a chance to try out the new magnets last weekend at the alleged train show in Portland with my Maersk train pulling about 5 cars on the layout.

In real life, on a 45 degree “S” curve after a wide 90 degree curve over a very slight rise where two tables met the magent couldn’t do it. I thought I might put in a 1x2 plate to hold them together, but it wouldn’t fit in the engine “plow” buffers. I had to trade out the coupling and buffers to an old-style coupling, and then we had no problems.

The cars were fairly heavy loaded container cars similar to the Maersk. They were pulled on 9V track by an old 9V engine. The track configuration was 2 curve left, 2 straight, 2 curve left, 2 straight, 2 curve right, 2 straight, 2 curve left and then straight.

-Matt :)

PS - Note, Larry, that it was my Meark train, and that set comes in bley, so I am moving beyond my old issues, slowly...