 Trains / 31375
Re: The newer magnets...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2011 08:33:04 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Matthew J. Chiles wrote:
Since I see people around here I better join in!  And I figure you should never
be afriad to ask a "newbie" question, since who wants to spend all day searching
old forums, and if I want to know there may be others...

I haven't purchased any new train sets for quite a while and have yet to really
see or play with the new magnet system that came out in the couplers a couple
years ago.

Now that they have been around a while I would be curious to know what people
think of them.  Are they as good as the old?  Even better?  What are the
advantages or disadvantages?  Thanks!

-Matt :)

Hi Matt,

welcome (back) in the zombie group.... :-)

I have just tested a couple  of waggons (10 new + 5 old to be exactely) for
magnet power:
when pulling apart a train of waggons equipped with different magnet systems I
find no clear answer:
Obviously the spread (at least within the old system) is higher than the general
difference between old and new.

Mostly old couplings rip apart. Sometimes the connection between an old and a
new one are the weakest link in such a train. However, the strongest set of
couplings I found has been of old type as well.

The new couplings are pretty strong (in average slightly better than the old
system). The connecting force is at least as stronger than any engine with 1 or
even 2 motors. Even the strongest engine (the Emerald Night with 150g pulling
power ) will not rip magnets apart.

When used in any regular train I do not mind to use new magnets. The worst thing
to mention is that they are screwed to the buffer bar without the chance to get
them seperated. So the new magnets will not work for all MOCs. I rarely used the
buffers on my MOC engines.

Talking about shape: I always liked the metal click and the cylinder shape of
the old magnets. The new ones offer full plastic surface (which might be better
in LEGO system) and they have a stud to strengthen their connection by adding
1x2 tiles to them. So I feel indifferent here.

Leg Godt!

Ben