 Trains / 31374
Re: LEGO trains are great!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2011 07:53:39 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Rob Hendrix wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Rob Hendrix wrote:
Man, LEGO trainheads used to live in a thriving community worldwide with
multiple clubs coming together and displaying larger than life train layouts at
least once per year and then LEGO stopped making 9v trains...

What do you miss most about "the good old days"?

LEGO still make 9v trains, they just run on batteries ;)

Tim

And the newest fall catalog 2011 has 2 train sets in it.  Well, one complete
with all you need to get moving.

Hello - At least Lugnet Train newsgroup has not been killed!

I have to agree, that 9V is preferable for Club layouts, since battery power is
not easy to be supplied for daylong operation. The rechargebale box loads
extremely quick, however the initial costs are pretty high.

Not sure if this is a result, but Lego clubs may be resting somewhat - at least
I am not member of a train club anymore nor have I been to any exhibition for
years... But this is not due to demise of 9V trains.

For me LEGO trains do better than at any given time since the early eighties. In
total there is a count of 7 train sets at this moment (+ supplementary):
- 10194 Emerald Night (including big drivers!!)
- 10219 Maersk Container Train
- 7939 Freight Train with Yellow Engine
- 7938 Passenger Train
- 3677 Red Freight Engine
(Any Ideas why this is numbered 3677 while anything around is Fabuland?)
- 4841 Harry Potter's Hogwarts Express
- 7597 Toy Story Train Chase (including big drivers in red!!)

After my experiences these trains have a high play value (not only for kids - I
have fun with them as well). Especially in a mix of systems we have extreme
diverse options: "many" (still not enough!) channels and many different speeds
can be operated on one layout: a mix of original 9V equipment, old IR, and new
IR trains with different motor systems (Emerald vs. train motors) give an
extreme complexicity.....
To run 4+ engines on shared loops without crash is nearby impossible.
If you want to add further play value: even 12V equipment can be driven by PF-IR
power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9pVrV7njAU

The new trains have convinced and satisfied me. Blay has been a much worse
experience....

Leg Godt!

Ben