 Trains / 29965
Re: Long Span Suspension Bridge?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2008 07:19:01 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dave Sterling wrote:
   .. • How much clearance should I have track to top of the bridge? I was thinking 20 studs at first, but maybe I need more? I know it fits all my rolling stock, but what if someone shows up with a bigger train and wants to run it on my layout? Is there a “standard” bridge height most clubs use?

Thanks, Dave

At work they like to quote the statement “Standards are great. That’s why we have so many of them.”

Standard height is whatever you and whomever you interoperate with agree on. At SCLTC, standard height is 14 bricks, measured from the top of a baseplate placed on the table and includes the 1 plate we use to raise the track above the baseplate (so we can use tiles under curve tracks) plus the height of the trails themselves.)

We rarely get in trouble over lack of vertical clearance. A much bigger problem is clearance around curves, which can bite you in unanticipated places. For example, your bridge may offer great clearance for rolling stock that approaches it on straight track, but not make it if it goes direct to curve track.

-Ted