 Trains / 29901
Subject:
Long Span Suspension Bridge?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2008 19:56:09 GMT

Stacy and I are designing a small layout for Brickworld this year and we
want/need to have a bridge in the layout.  We've been working to design the
layout using banquet tables (so I don't have to bring my own tables), yet we
still want an open space in the center.  The way we have it designed
necessitates us to try and span 40 inches (128 studs) unsupported.

So here's the question...has anyone built an unsupported truss-style bridge
that's around a 128 stud unsupported span?  I'm thinking if I sandwich the deck
(4x10 and 6x10 plates) between 1x8 bricks (below) and 1x16 Technic bricks
(above) and then use a standard truss structure with Technic bricks and beams, I
stand a chance of being able to support the bridge and the weight of one train
on it.  However, I would love to hear some anecdotal evidence that this works
before I hit Bricklink and spend a bunch on plates, bricks, and beams to
complete this behemoth.

-Dave

Re: Long Span Suspension Bridge?
[...]

If you use a tensioned string support system underneath, you can go long
distances with few parts.

-Rob

Re: Long Span Suspension Bridge?