 Trains / 29922
Re: Long Span Suspension Bridge?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:58:36 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ted Michon wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Mike Gallagher wrote:
   ,, Total length 15ft (480 studs) , with one side of the deck over 12ft long. The 12ft length is just to long for cable stay. The bridge is too light for the use. But if I added weight to the bridge deck, say $30+ of pennies across deck it stabilized it. And when the very light trains went over it they did not bow any of the deck. .. Mike Gallagher

Mike-

The 192 stud (10 ft) cable-stayed bridged that I posted a picture of earlier in this thread has a middle open span of 96 studs (5 ft). When we originally designed it, we made the deck just 5 plates thick with the intention of having the “cables” support the weight. We quickly determined that it was easier to make the cables look cosmetically correct using bungee material (to take up slack), but this proved impractical for supporting the thin deck. So we added a truss under the deck so that even with twin heavy trains at random locations we don’t get much deflection. Seems to work.

My next goal is a 384 stud (20 foot) suspension bridge with a 192 stud (10 foot) middle section using real cable. The biggest problem I see is anchoring the ends (cable stayed bridges have their advantages!).

-Ted

Ted,

Sorry, I can not stand it anymore. A 48 stud baseplate is 15” and a fraction. Two at 96 studs would be 30” and a fraction. Four at 192 studs would be 5 feet and a fraction. Therefore 384 studs would be ten feet 3/4 of an inch.

Bruce