 Trains / 29939
Re: Long Span Suspension Bridge?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 23:17:26 GMT

I’ve found the deck can be pretty insubstantial; even in minifig scale, the truss carries the weight.

The Notre Dame Bridge is about 320 studs long and has been up for over a year now:

At least, I have heard no news of its collapse. It can take quite a bit of weight. Many thanks to TJ Avery’s fantastic lbridge design spreadsheet available at texbrick.com. There are spreadsheets for both arch and straight trusses.

The “cables” are actually sandwiches of three layers of 1x plate built off the end of each vertical member of the truss. They tie directly into the business part of the underside:

The beams supporting the deck consist of sandwiches of three layers of plate, mostly 2x8. The stacks of 1x3 and 1x4 bricks were included only for show. The deck floats on top of the support beams. I think it’s a sandwich of two layers of plate. The deck could easily be replaced with track that would need only a minimum of reinforcement.

Hope this helps!

-Teddy