 Trains / 29914
Re: Long Span Suspension Bridge?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:13:53 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dave Sterling wrote:
Stacy and I are designing a small layout for Brickworld this year and we
want/need to have a bridge in the layout.  We've been working to design the
layout using banquet tables (so I don't have to bring my own tables), yet we
still want an open space in the center.  The way we have it designed
necessitates us to try and span 40 inches (128 studs) unsupported.

So here's the question...has anyone built an unsupported truss-style bridge
that's around a 128 stud unsupported span?  I'm thinking if I sandwich the deck
(4x10 and 6x10 plates) between 1x8 bricks (below) and 1x16 Technic bricks
(above) and then use a standard truss structure with Technic bricks and beams, I
stand a chance of being able to support the bridge and the weight of one train
on it.  However, I would love to hear some anecdotal evidence that this works
before I hit Bricklink and spend a bunch on plates, bricks, and beams to
complete this behemoth.

-Dave

Dave,

I built a 128-stud, truss style bridge for NGLTC shows that's become a staple of
the layout.  I use ZNAP as structural "members" to go over the tracks.  The
bridge does not use any support other than the compression between two tables.
(this is because NGLTC tables are 4x4 baseplates.  We have a water table that is
situated lower than the other tables--so a bridge was needed for trains to
cross.

If you do want to make a truss bridge, I recommend using layers of plates (as
there is a greater surface adhesion (clutch power) of plates when compared to
bricks.  One thing that I have found that works well to to use two layers of
plate between two technic bricks.  The spacing of two plates between two technic
bricks is such that you can position a 3-stud wide technic beam upright, where
the technic bricks will match holes 1 and 3 perfectly.  You will most
undoubtedly need one baseplate on either side of the span to build some
supports.

My bridge has been holding together well, and is not covered with plexiglass
sneezeguards on our layouts, so it has born the bront of many children's fingers
leaning against it.

I'm trying to remember if I've brought the bridge to a BrickFest.  I can send
you some pictures if you're interested.

Scott Lyttle