 Trains / 29912
Re: Long Span Suspension Bridge?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:27:40 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dave Sterling wrote:
   Stacy and I are designing a small layout for Brickworld this year and we want/need to have a bridge in the layout. We’ve been working to design the layout using banquet tables (so I don’t have to bring my own tables), yet we still want an open space in the center. The way we have it designed necessitates us to try and span 40 inches (128 studs) unsupported.

So here’s the question...has anyone built an unsupported truss-style bridge that’s around a 128 stud unsupported span? I’m thinking if I sandwich the deck (4x10 and 6x10 plates) between 1x8 bricks (below) and 1x16 Technic bricks (above) and then use a standard truss structure with Technic bricks and beams, I stand a chance of being able to support the bridge and the weight of one train on it. However, I would love to hear some anecdotal evidence that this works before I hit Bricklink and spend a bunch on plates, bricks, and beams to complete this behemoth.

-Dave

Well after reading your post one last time before I sent this I realized you wanted info on truss designs for a suspension bridge (like the Golden Gate) not a cable stay. But the second post threw me off due to the same problem I have had that was fixed with tensioned string underneath bridge deck.

But for this I have a bridge I’m working on now that is 128 studs between each support tower. I need no extra support for this besides the track getting locked to the rest of the displays on the ends. And all the towers were connected with Baseplates at the bottom. But I would think if this arch was above the RR track for a suspension bridge, then you would need some downward force to keep bridge from bouncing and warping while trains cross. I have used tensioned string underneath bridge deck and/or adding more weight then the bridge it self with trains to the deck (see below)

Wrong info below, but good info.

I made this version that was 10 ft long. I had to add the string on the bottom to keep bridge level while trains went over the deck.

I then tried to double the length while giving it a pivot point so it could be raised. You can not tell in these pictures but I have many strings holding the deck down and keep it from bouncing while trains go over.

Total length 15ft (480 studs) , with one side of the deck over 12ft long. The 12ft length is just to long for cable stay. The bridge is too light for the use. But if I added weight to the bridge deck, say $30+ of pennies across deck it stabilized it. And when the very light trains went over it they did not bow any of the deck.

My Brickshelf bridge folder

Mike Gallagher

MIKESLEGO