 Trains / 29907
Re: Long Span Suspension Bridge?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:47:17 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dave Sterling wrote:
   So here’s the question...has anyone built an unsupported truss-style bridge that’s around a 128 stud unsupported span? I’m thinking if I sandwich the deck (4x10 and 6x10 plates) between 1x8 bricks (below) and 1x16 Technic bricks (above) and then use a standard truss structure with Technic bricks and beams,

I built one a couple of years ago that spans 128 studs, with two tracks. It’s pretty minimal. I used double 1x16 technic bricks to support the deck, then combinations of technic bricks for the trusses. The deck is just strips of 2x16 plates with the track on top. The nice part is that it breaks down flat for easy transportation.

I hunted around and found a few photos from old shows.

Side view:

Overhead:

Beneath:

Upper: