 Trains / 29903
Re: Long Span Suspension Bridge?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:25:58 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dave Sterling wrote:
   ..has anyone built an unsupported truss-style bridge that’s around a 128 stud unsupported span?

   ..However, I would love to hear some anecdotal evidence that this works before I hit Bricklink and spend a bunch on plates, bricks, and beams to complete this behemoth.

-Dave

How about some anecdotal pictures?

This cable stayed bridge spans 192 studs and this arched truss bridge spans 288:

This over truss bridge spans 192 studs:

This under truss spans 192 studs and passed the 16 pound bowling ball in the middle test with minimal deflection:

We have a new generation 192 stud long bridge in the most recent layout that’s a combination under and over whose longest Technic brick is 8 studs. For some reason, we didn’t post any views of them on scltc.org. I can send you some photos if you want.

-Ted SCLTC