 Trains / 29936
Re: Long Span Suspension Bridge?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:52:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dave Sterling wrote:

   .. Any thoughts on what I have so far? I’d really like to try one of those cool cable-stayed bridges sometime, but I’ll need to get a closer look at how the cables are held in place. .. -Dave

Dave-

If you want your truss construction to actually support the bridge, you should convert your trapezoids into triangles (i.e., break them up by adding verticals in the middle). (Actually, the way many of us do this still makes trapezoids, but one of the horizontal sections is so small that it’s effectively a triangle.) The best way to make the triangles is to use length ratios 3:4:5 or 5:12:13 so they come out exactly in studs.

With regard to the “cable” in our cable stayed bridges, we just used bungee cord (from Jo Ann Fabrics, which appears to be identical to the stuff that came with LEGO Bungee Blasters a few years ago). In the towers, we just run through the holes in Technic plates. At the deck, we run it through a piece of stiff LEGO tubing, then a 1x1 cone, then a small Technic connector from the cone to an axle hole, and wedge between the axle and axle hole and into the deck through a hole in the side of a Technic brick.

-Ted