 Trains / 29935
Re: Long Span Suspension Bridge?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:37:46 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bruce S. Chamberlain wrote:

Sorry, I can not stand it anymore. A 48 stud baseplate is 15” and a fraction. Two at 96 studs would be 30” and a fraction. Four at 192 studs would be 5 feet and a fraction. Therefore 384 studs would be ten feet 3/4 of an inch.

Bruce

Bruce-

You are quite right, but my error is in studs, not feet. (I had an in-the-back-of-my-mind-something’s-not-quite-right feeling even as I wrote the post(s). I think the problem was that I knew that each single tower section was 192 studs long but in the picture we show two linked end to end for 384 studs. I listed the stud length for 1 section and the foot length for 2 and it was all downhill from there...)

Anyway:

The twin tower cable stayed bridge pictured is 384 studs (10 feet) long with a 192 stud (5 foot) middle span. We often set it on twin 60 inch tables.

The arch bridge is 288 studs long (7.5 feet).

The under and over truss bridges pictured are 192 studs (5 feet) long.

My pie in the sky suspension bridge would be 768 studs (20 feet) long with a 384 stud (10 foot) middle span.

-Ted