 Trains / 28834
Re: 6-wide Canadian Pacific GE ES44AC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:11:42 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Benn Coifman wrote:
   But let me go further and note that I think your instructions are equally nice and are deserving of attention in their own right.

Mind if I ask what software you used to generate the instructions?

Thanks for sharing.

Benn

Thanks Benn

It may sound really stupid but I use Excel to prepare my drawings - each drawing element is prepared separately then I do the overall layout.

Before you start choking, there are however specific reasons why I use it. It is accessible at work, at home and even at my mums - most importantly at work. Like many people I spend my life sitting in front of a computer so when I get a really good idea I can just jot it down and carry on. The other thing about work is they have the Adobe license so I can make the pdf, so what ever I use has to be there - the chances of me sneaking CAD past my systems administrator are zilch!

The other main reason is my background. As a civil engineer I spend a lot of time looking at plans so I do most of my thinking built up two dimensions at a time than three, so using a simple projection in my drawings just helps me think more clearly.

I will finish on a word of warning. Whilst l built the loco from the drawings I can’t promise they are 100% as I had plenty of prior knowledge of how it was supposed to go together. If you do attempt to build from them, each step is a picture of a sub-assembly, and some of the parts are difficult to find, or may be hidden. So each one is rather like a little jigsaw.

I will be happy to work with anyone attempting a build from the drawings to help make life easier - but James Mathis described my presentation style as challenging so that tells you what you could be dealing with!

Chris